Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Disheveled Romance

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This dress reminds me of old Rococo style paintings of women from 18th century painter Thomas Gainsborough... I love the whimsical and romantic representation of the care-free aristocratic lifestyle of the time.  



Photobucket


I'm so glad that it is not 30 degrees out today so I can pretend it's Spring.  Winter clothes just do not excite me.  I actually usually just skip buying tons of winter clothes and would rather start stocking up on lighter weight items that I can use throughout the year and just layer..

This dress is so special to me.  I found it at an antique shop in Avalon, NJ.  The labels says Samuel Winston by Roxane from The Needle Craft on the Atlantic City Boardwalk and I think it is from the 50's or perhaps early 60's. When I googled the name, the designer mostly worked in those decades, plus the silhouette screams 1950's.  I want to know all about the girl who wore this dress... 

Could you just imagine what the 1950's was like in Atlantic City?  Well thanks to Google, I can.  Here are some shots from R.C. Maxwell that I found.  Ugh how amazing!  Once the weather gets better I'm taking my dress and my luck to AC and doing a shoot on the boardwalk!

What an amazing time that must have been.  Boys would actually romance one girl, rather than 13... You would actually buy a dress on the Boardwalk of Atlantic City, and girls just started to wear bikinis and wore those super cute high waisted briefs and pin up tops.  


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On Me:
Dress: Vintage, Vest: Zara, Lace cardigan: Millau, Shoes: Manolo Blahnik, Gold necklace: Street vendor purchase, Flower necklace: Anthropologie



xoxo,

SG

No comments:

 
Pattern from K10K |Fonts from Apostrophic Labs and Darrian Lynx | Blog Design by Abecedarian